"This week at the Operations Management Council (OMC) meeting, a significant portion was dedicated to the work we are doing to improve information technology (IT). In 2007, the Strategic Management Council, approved strategic initiatives to:
1) clarify the role of the Chief Information Officer (CIO) as stated in NPD 1000.3 and define core IT services that shall be provided by the CIO;
2) realign the NASA IT organization to reflect the role of the CIO and better connect with customers;
3) create a governance structure and processes to engage key stakeholders, inform IT investment decisions, and apply project management discipline to IT projects;
4) increase visibility into IT budgeting and spending through management controls and fund base IT services through a combination of Corporate and Center Management and Operations funding;
5) improve integration, security, and efficiency of IT by consolidating infrastructure and management control; and 6) assign ownership of application portfolios and create a CIO-facilitated process to drive application standardization and efficiencies."