As some of you may know NASA Watch founder and editor Keith Cowing is trekking to Everest base camp in support of an education and public outreach effort for former astronaut Scott Parazynski's attempted ascent of Mt. Everest. So I thought I would bring to your attention some of the creative writing and stunning images Keith has been posting to Everest OnOrbit.
Keith is resting as I write this as it's late in the evening in Nepal but he should have reached Gorak Shep today, a frozen lake bed covered with sand that sits at 5,164m or approximately 17,000 vertical feet and is the final acclimatization stop before he reaches Everest base camp on Monday.
International Mountain Guides meanwhile is reporting that Scott Parazynski is one of six people who have now setup at Everest Camp 3.
You can follow Scott's progress and Keith's adventure at Everest OnOrbit.
Here's Keith's updates, I think you'll like them.
- April 13: Heading to Everest, Waking Up Over Iraq
- April 14: On The Road to Kathmandu
- April 16: Goodbye Kathmandu, Hello Khumbu
- April 17: Climbing Up To Namche
- April 18: Awestruck in Namche
- April 19: Messages Across Time
- April 20: Webcasting from a Foggy Buddhist Monastery
- April 22: Utterly Improbable Terrain and Stealth Yaks in the Darkness