Node 3 Location Issues

Sent: Friday, September 04, 2009 3:21 PM
Subject: My Notes: Final Node 3 relocation charts

From this afternoon's meeting with Mr. Suffredini concerning the Node 3 relocation plan.

Node 3 is to remain on the N1p port, and no further work is to be given to the Node 3 temp storage on N1p and later re-location to N1n plan. The PLM will be located N1n, because this location requires the least MMOD shielding (reducing launch weight, and preparation costs).

The Cupola will remain in the planned location. When it looks like Orion may fly, the program will re-look at moving the Cupola at that time to provide a back-up docking port.

The desire to relocate Node 3 was to provide a back-up port for each visiting vehicle, and also to provide 2 additional available ports for future growth of ISS. Mr. Suffredini noted that Biggalow has approached NASA about docking a module to ISS, which he would like to try to accommodate. However, the cost and risk impacts to performing the Node 3 relocation in FY2010 drove the decision to not relocate Node 3.

It was noted my many in the room that if needed in the future, the team thought they could find a way to relocate the Node 3 at that time (given more time to work on the plan and to provided the needed hardware, training and procedures, etc.).

  • submit to reddit


Wernher von Braun Memorial Symposium September 10 - 12, 2019

Join our mailing list

Commercialization: Monthly Archives

Monthly Archives

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by Keith Cowing published on September 8, 2009 2:20 PM.

Augustine: A Sanity Check was the previous entry in this blog.

Augustine Report Executive Summary is the next entry in this blog.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.