Keith's note: Former JSC PAO chief Ellen Engleman-Connors has a new Job - as the US Coast Guard's Deputy Director of Governmental and Public Affairs. According to this Washington Post article from 2005, she is perfect for the job: "She often joked to colleagues that she was determined to live the life of a spinster aboard her houseboat on the Potomac with her five cats -- each of which had its own life preserver." NASA Watch wishes her well. Formal USCG notice below.
R 291856Z AUG 11
ALCOAST 404/11 COMDTNOTE 12920 SUBJ: SELECTION OF DEPUTY DIRECTOR OF GOVERNMENTAL AND PUBLIC AFFAIRS
1. I AM PLEASED TO ANNOUNCE THE SELECTION OF MS. ELLEN ENGLEMAN-CONNERS AS THE COAST GUARDS DEPUTY DIRECTOR OF GOVERNMENTAL AND PUBLIC AFFAIRS. IN THIS CAPACITY, MS. ENGLEMAN-CONNERS WILL PROVIDE ADVICE TO THE SENIOR LEADERSHIP TO THE U.S. COAST GUARD ON MATTERS RELATED TO COMPLEX PROGRAMMATIC, REGULATORY, AND EXTERNAL (PUBLIC/GOVERNMENTAL/INTERGOVERNMENTAL) AFFAIRS ISSUES AND PROPOSALS AFFECTING THE U.S. COAST GUARD AND DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY.
2. MS. ENGLEMAN-CONNERS HAS MORE THAN 15 YEARS IF EXPERIENCE IN THE FIELD OF GOVERNMENTAL AND PUBLIC AFFAIRS HOLDING POSITIONS IN BOTH THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT AND PRIVATE SECTOR AND HAS BEEN A MEMBER OF THE SENIOR EXECUTIVE SERVICE FOR THREE YEARS. SHE CURRENTLY SERVES AS THE SPECIAL ASSISTANT TO THE DIRECTOR AT NASA JOHNSON SPACE CENTER (JSC) AND PREVIOUSLY SERVED AS THE DIRECTOR, EXTERNAL RELATIONS AT JSC. PREVIOUS TO HER EMPLOYMENT WITH NASA, MS. ENGLEMAN-CONNERS SERVED AS THE SENIOR DEPUTY BUREAU CHIEF WITH THE FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION, CHAIRMAN OF THE NATIONAL TRANSPORTATION SAFETY BOARD, ADMINISTRATOR OF THE RESEARCH AND SPECIAL PROGRAM ADMINISTRATION WITH THE DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION (DOT), AND WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CRISIS COMMUNICATION MANAGEMENT CENTER AT DOT DURING 9/11. MS. ENGLEMAN-CONNERS RECEIVED HER BACHELOR OF ARTS DEGREE FROM INDIANA UNIVERSITY IN 1983 AND GRADUATED FROM INDIANA UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW IN 1987. IN ADDITION, SHE HAS A MASTER OF PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION DEGREE FROM HARVARD UNIVERSITY.
3. MS. ENGLEMAN-CONNERS WILL ASSUME THE DUTIES OF DEPUTY DIRECTOR OF GOVERNMENTAL AND PUBLIC AFFAIRS ON 29 AUGUST 2011. PLEASE JOIN ME IN WELCOMING A SHIPMATE, AND THE NEWEST MEMBER OF OUR SENIOR EXECUTIVE TEAM.
4. ADM BOB PAPP, COMMANDANT, SENDS.
5. INTERNET RELEASE AUTHORIZED.