How Much of Webb is Actually "Complete"? (Update)

JWST Supporters to Make Their Case As Controversy Grows, Space Policy Online

"A NASA spokesman told SpacePolicyOnline.com on July 28 via email that $3.5 billion will have been spent on JWST by the end of FY2011. In response to a statement by University of Chicago cosmologist Michael Turner on NPR's Science Friday that JWST was 75 percent complete, the NASA spokesman clarified that 75 percent of JWST "flight hardware, by weight, is either ready to be fabricated, in fabrication, in testing, or delivered." He declined to specify a cost estimate or launch date because discussions among NASA, its contractors and international partners on a "sustainable path forward...based on a realistic cost, funding, and schedule assessment" are ongoing. He said a decision would be announced as part of the FY2013 budget request."

Letter from AURA President William Smith to House Appropriations Committee Chair Rogers

"Overall 75% of the hardware is in fabrication"

Reaching for the stars, opinon, LA Times

"More than three-quarters of the hardware is either complete or in production, and most of the technical obstacles have been solved."

Keith's note: Hmm ... "75 percent of JWST "flight hardware, by weight, is either ready to be fabricated, in fabrication, in testing, or delivered." (according to NASA) is far different than "75% of the hardware is in fabrication" or "More than three-quarters of the hardware is either complete or in production". NASA specifies that some things have not been fabricated yet and that the 75% number refers to weight - not the number of components. JWST suppporters like AURA etc. omit the "by weight" factor and the "ready for fabrication" issue.

If the spacecraft is so close to being done, then why is it still 75% of a decade away from launch? What is so hard about the remaining 25%? No one seems to want to talk about that.

Keith's update: A few minutes ago this tweet

@SaveJWST: Nicely coated & 75% complete. My other 25% is in production or being tested. Don't cut my funding now! http://1.usa.gov/oJb5zg #JWST #SaveJWST

was quickly replaced with

@SaveJWST: Nicely coated & 75% complete, in production or being tested. Don't cut my funding now! http://t.co/1vEaL4S #JWST #SaveJWST

When I pointed out this blatant inaccuracy on Twitter.

  • submit to reddit


Loading






Join our mailing list




Commercialization: Monthly Archives

Monthly Archives

About this Entry

This page contains a single entry by Keith Cowing published on September 13, 2011 12:58 PM.

Webb Team Fights Back (Update) was the previous entry in this blog.

NASA and ATK Announcement is the next entry in this blog.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.