Keith's 3:14 pm note: Multiple sources in and around NASA and the space community confirm to NASA Watch that Neil Armstrong, the first human to walk on another world, has died at the age of 82. More to follow. This is a hinge in history. More information at http://neilarmstronginfo.com
"We are heartbroken to share the news that Neil Armstrong has passed away following complications resulting from cardiovascular procedures.
Neil was our loving husband, father, grandfather, brother and friend.
Neil Armstrong was also a reluctant American hero who always believed he was just doing his job. He served his Nation proudly, as a navy fighter pilot, test pilot, and astronaut. He also found success back home in his native Ohio in business and academia, and became a community leader in Cincinnati.
He remained an advocate of aviation and exploration throughout his life and never lost his boyhood wonder of these pursuits.
As much as Neil cherished his privacy, he always appreciated the expressions of good will from people around the world and from all walks of life.
While we mourn the loss of a very good man, we also celebrate his remarkable life and hope that it serves as an example to young people around the world to work hard to make their dreams come true, to be willing to explore and push the limits, and to selflessly serve a cause greater than themselves.
For those who may ask what they can do to honor Neil, we have a simple request. Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink."
- Statement by the President on the Passing of Neil Armstrong
- NASA Administrator Statement on Neil Armstrong's Death
- Quote from Chief of the Astronaut Office on the Death of Neil Armstrong
- Speaker Boehner Statement on the Passing of Neil Armstrong
- Statement from Buzz Aldrin, Apollo 11 lunar module pilot, regarding the passing of Neil Armstrong
- Statement from Nancy Conrad regarding the passing of Neil Armstrong
- Statement by Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison on the Life of Neil Armstrong
- Students for the Exploration and Development of Space (SEDS) Statement on the Death of Neil Armstrong
- Challenger Center Statement on the Death of Neil Armstrong
- Kennedy Space Center Director Statement On Neil Armstrong's Death
- Coalition for Space Exploration: Neil Armstrong - A True Hero for All Mankind
- Commercial Spaceflight Federation Mourns the Passing of Neil Armstrong
- Statement by Glenn Research Center Director Ray Lugo on the Death of Neil Armstrong
- Ranking Member Johnson and Ranking Member Costello Issue Statements on the Passing of Neil Armstrong