This is not a NASA Website. You might learn something. It's YOUR space agency. Get involved. Take it back. Make it work - for YOU.
Exploration

Red Bull Stratos: Winds Scrub Today's Attempt

By Keith Cowing
NASA Watch
October 9, 2012
Filed under

Keith’s update: Today’s balloon attempt was aborted due to high ground winds. There is a backup ballloon for another attempt. Weather is expected to be questionable tomorrow and then it deteriorates further after that.
Status Reports
LIVE WEBCAST

NASA Watch founder, Explorers Club Fellow, ex-NASA, Away Teams, Journalist, Space & Astrobiology, Lapsed climber.

7 responses to “Red Bull Stratos: Winds Scrub Today's Attempt”

  1. Andrew Gasser says:
    0
    0

    Inspirational РMakes me want to drink RedBull

    Nice to see the private sector starting to move into new areas.

  2. npng says:
    0
    0

    Great presentation Dr. Clark.

  3. Fred says:
    0
    0

    I hope they set the record today!

  4. Susan Keddie says:
    0
    0

    Am I the only one who looks at this and sees an enormous waste of helium???

  5. Antilope7724 says:
    0
    0

    It was probably cancelled because he had too many Red Bull’s while waiting. ūüėČ

  6. Rusty says:
    0
    0

    From what I have read, the launched was scrubbed due to communications issues between the capsule and mission control.¬† Question: why wasn’t the communications checked before the balloon was inflated?¬† Seems all systems should have been checked first and then the loading of the helium and passenger would come later.¬† Seems like a basic procedure step was overlookeed.

    • Steve Pemberton says:
      0
      0

      The radio problem was discovered and dealt with prior to inflation and passenger loading. The launch was scrubbed due to possible damage to the balloon during inflation caused by a wind gust, as well as an overall concern that the wind conditions were deteriorating.

      The delay caused by the radio problem may have contributed to them just missing the brief opportunity when they had calm winds. Regarding whether a check was missed with the radios, apparently the radio overheated, which if true means that it worked when checked earlier but failed when checked again just prior to inflation.

      Some good news – the next possible attempt is Sunday, October 14th, which just happens to be the 65th anniversary of Chuck Yeager’s flight.