- Press Release
- August 9, 2022
The Public's Opinion(s) on Space
A Look at What the Public Knows and Does Not Know About Science, Pew Research
“Fully 73% of Americans distinguish between astronomy and what is commonly considered a pseudoscience: astrology. Twenty-two percent of Americans incorrectly say that astronomy not astrology is the study of how the positions of stars and planets can influence human behavior. Another 5% give some other incorrect response.”
Major Gaps Between the Public, Scientists on Key Issues, Pew Research
– “Astronauts are essential for the future of the U.S. space program”: 59% of the public agrees whereas only 47% of AAAS members agree.
– “The Space Station has been a good investment for the U.S.”: 64% of the public agrees while 68% of AAAS members agree.
– Recent Space Poll: The Public is Not Always in Synch With Space Advocates, earlier post
– Poll: Space Travel in the 21st Century: American Public Sees Benefits But Balks at Cost, earlier post
– Poll Suggests Public Concern Over Direction In Space, earlier post
– New Gallup Poll Reveals Americans Strongly Support Space Exploration, Believe it Inspires Younger Generation, earlier post